One of the questions that we get often is what exactly is a “high security lock”. A high security lock describes a lock that has a much higher resistance to any type of compromise. Most high security locks use certain designs or characteristics that improve their ability to resist manipulation and forced entry for a given amount of time. They generally are not completely undefeatable but are designed to make compromise too expensive or too time consuming to be feasible. They also have a designated security rating and not just a title of “security”.
The features that most High security locks have are:
- Restrictive keyways and manipulation resistance that make it very difficult to manipulate tools within the lock itself. Almost all high-security locks have components designed to resist manipulation from lockpicking and decodingSecurity pins are the most popular example of anti-manipulation components in pin-tumbler locks. Some locks also have components designed to resist impressioning and key bumping.
- Key control mechanisms that make duplication of the keys for the lock difficult to prevent unauthorized duplication or manufacturing. A security code and a specialized duplication machine is often needed.
- Key Differs and complex master keying configurations are part of the high security designation.
- Destructive/Forced Entry Resistance Almost all high-security locks are made of strong materials and designed to make them resistant to destructive entry techniques. Steel rods, ball bearings, and hardened materials are used in construction.
- High Manufacturing Tolerances of components of the lock to make it more manipulation proof and increased tolerances to promote the longevity of the lock are standards in most high security locks.
We know about locks and we know what it will take to keep you and your family or your business protected with High Security Locks. Call us today!