Common forms of workplace theft and fraud include:
Billing Fraud: An employee submits inflated invoices, invoices for fictitious services and goods, or invoices for personal purchases.
Cash Larceny: An employee steals an incoming payment after it has been recorded on the accounting books.
Skimming: An employee steals an incoming payment before recording it on the accounting books
Embezzlement: This involves the taking of money or property by an employee who was entrusted to it.
Business owners can implement the following practices to help reduce the chance of these crimes occurring:
- Know employees well and be aware of any odd behavior. Examples include an employee’s sudden devotion to working late or early, sudden lifestyle changes that don’t align with their salary, and strong objections to procedural changes that involve money.
- Supervise employees closely. Studies indicate that when supervision is lax, fraud rates increase.
- Provide a way for employees to report theft or fraud discreetly.
- Have a method of tracking spending. Use purchase orders, cash receipts, and informal audits.
- After an employee is terminated or laid off, rekey the locks.
- Install Security measures such as key control systems. Limit access to areas with sensitive financial data to specific employees.
Pop-A-Lock Site Security Audit and PAL Commercial Security Solutions
Pop-A-Lock created the Commercial Site Security Audit as a way for customers to think about and evaluate their current security measures. This checklist, which can be downloaded for free here, provides guidance for creating a safer environment for your employees, customers, and visitors. The site security audit will evaluate your business with a security-focused mindset, identifying potential security threats and ensuring code compliance.
At Pop-A-Lock, we recommend you select an access control system that best suits your business’s needs and will provide a higher level of security than what you currently have. Our security professionals will you to determine the right system for your company, helping keep your employees, information, and equipment safe.
From rekeying to new lock installation, Pop-A-Lock’s highly skilled technicians can provide the best locksmith services at affordable rates. Some of our commercial services include:
- Repairing locks, exit devices, and ancillary locking hardware.
- Maintaining proprietary key systems, including Primus, Medeco, and others.
- Providing on-site service using a standardized billing process.
- Replacing and controlling keys and locks for desks.
- Providing Pop-A-Lock’s locksmith services to your employees at a discounted rate.
To schedule a Pop-A-Lock Security Professional to evaluate your business, call 1-800-POP-A-LOCK today.